Saturday, May 26, 2012

'BEATLEMANIA' COMES TO THE OASIS

Pam and I were leaving for a nightcap aboard Oasis of the Seas when who should we run into in the hallway outside our stateroom than John Lennon.

Or rather, the musician who portrays John Lennon in the show, "Beatlemania Live!"

We had actually just seen the show a few hours before and "John" was going to his stateroom, guitar over his shoulder, on the same deck as ours.

The show is amazing, and just as advertised, you think you are seeing The Beatles in their prime. The first set is many of the early classics -- like "I Want to Hold Your Hand," "Twist and Shout," while the second half is devoted to "Sgt. Pepper," complete with costumes.

I had to tell "John" I thought their live act was actually better than when The Beatles were performing. He said one reason is they have the advantage of a lot of technology the original Beatles didn't have.

We told him about our own "close encounter" with Paul McCartney when I was the rock music writer for the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. Interviewing Paul was a high point for me, and Pam and I both got to be starstruck backstage. Read about it here.

If you ever get the chance to catch "Beatlemania Live!," don't miss it! 

-- Gerry, for Cruising Squared

No comments:

Post a Comment